PIBWL Polish Armour page Main page » Polish armour » armoured cars » wz.29 Ursus » gallery   – Polish artillerySteel Pantherswhat's new Samochód pancerny wz.29 - po polsku
  © Michal Derela, 2001 Updated: 3. 3. 2024  

Polish armoured car wz. 29 Ursus – gallery

This is a supplement to the armoured car wz.29 Ursus page, containing additional information and photos.

Before World War II

Samochód pancerny wz. 29 z radiostacją

An armoured car wz. 29 – probably the pattern vehicle, with experimentally mounted RKD radio, from the Experimental Armoured-Motorized Group from Modlin, during trials of removing obstacles. The photograph might be from manouvres near Lviv in September 1931, in which it is known, that the radio car took part. The radio was removed afterwards. In a background there is another wz. 29 armoured car, probably without an armament (only in mid-1932 series cars were fitted with weapon mountings). The cars are in an uniform "protective colour", probably dark olive green.

Samochody wz. 29

Armoured cars wz. 29 from the Experimental Armoured-Motorized Group of the 3rd Armoured Regiment in Modlin, most probably during a parade in Warsaw on 11 November 1933. This photograph is sometimes mistakenly described in publications as the cars in late camouflage pattern in 1936. In fact, they wear an experimental non-standard camouflage, not described in publications, probably made by airbrushing contrasting dark brown and light sand or light grey patches upon a basic olive green colour. Vickers Mk. E Type A tanks on the left armed with 37 mm Puteaux SA cannons and lacking further modifications indicate without a doubt, that the photograph was taken between 1933 and 1934. By August 1934 these cars had been already repainted in a typical camouflage (below).

In the middle there is evidently the prototype with a regular steel armour, differing by wider periscope slots in turret sides. On this photograph it also retains original inverted weapon layout in a turret. A detailed examination reveals also a bigger span between two bolts on a side next to a division of two angled rear plates.

Wz. 29 armoured cars

A parade of wz. 29 armoured cars from the 3th Armoured Regiment in Modlin in front of General Kazimierz Fabrycy, according to a description in an archive, in April 1933. In some books the date is given as April 1934. On the right there is Renault FT tank with Polish small-link tracks. It seems, that the cars have a different non standard camouflage, then on the photo above, with bigger share of light colours, possibly a winter/spring one.

Armoured cars wz. 29, August 1934
Armoured cars wz. 29, August 1934

Armoured cars wz. 29 on a parade on 5 August 1934 at Mokotów Field in Warsaw, commemorating an anniversary of Polish Legions. There are seven cars visible: the company commander's car (only on right bottom photograph, unfortunately, small) and two platoons with three cars. The cars wear a standard camouflage from 1934-1936, so-called "Japanese" one, without car numbers, painted again from 1935. Interesting is different style of patches in both platoons. Photographs prove, that commanders could sit high in turrets. A close-up of one car was in a main article.

It is not clear, from where the cars came. Because of their presence in Warsaw, we believe that cars from the 2nd Armoured Regiment in Żurawica near Przemyśl (reorganized into the 2nd Tank and Armoured Car Battalion) were moved to the Experimental Armoured-Motorized Battalion in Modlin near Warsaw already in 1934. Publications generally say, that it occurred at end of 1935 or beginning of 1936, but transporting of vehicles over 400 km for a parade would have been unusual those times. The remaining four vehicles were in Bydgoszcz then.

Armoured cars wz. 29, August 1934

Wz. 29 cars in Bydgoszcz

Since December 1934 until end of 1935, four cars wz. 29 were used in the detached Armoured Car Company in Bydgoszcz, reorganized to the 8th Armoured Battalion on 26 September 1935. The photograph shows wz. 29 cars platoon at the yard of Bydgoszcz barracks. The first is a motorcycle CWS M111, on the right there are Ursus A trucks. The first two armoured cars have numbers: 6628 and 6755. Triangles on front plates indicate the second platoon. A photo of the same vehicles on the road can be seen on the article page.

Enlarged photograph from a different source (worse quality).

Wz. 29 armoured cars

Wz. 29 armoured cars on a parade in Warsaw in late 1930s in a standard camouflage from 1936.

Wz. 29 armoured car

A wz. 29 armoured car on exercises in late 1930s in a final standard camouflage. Notweworthy is a flag, provisionally fixed in a rear machine gun mounting, and two-colour inside of doors.

September 1939

Including photographs from the main article for completeness.

The most often photographed Ursus in September 1939. It is acknowledged, that this is the car destroyed on 3 September 1939 at Chojnowo (between Przasnysz and Grudusk) by German armoured cars of Armoured Division "Kempf". It can't be however excluded, that it is the car destroyed on 12 September behind Seroczyn by units of the same division (in one German album the photograph was described as taken on 13 September near "Seruchin", and in the other it was along photographs from 13-14 September). There are however known two photographs of wz. 29 cars from Seroczyn vicinity, and according to a Polish account, only two Ursuses were destroyed there.

As can be seen on the photo to the right and directly below it, the car first stood on the road and only then was disarmed and pushed into the field where most of the photos were taken. A characteristic element is the shot through left fender.

An armoured car wz. 29 in Seroczyn (as depicted in one German album), destroyed on 12 September, known from several photos, without rear left twin wheels. One wheel apparently lies nearby (possibly Overman?).

It is unclear whether the car was destroyed in this place, which appears to be a center of the village and corresponds poorly with descriptions of the destruction of one car just north of the village and another south of it, towards the Świder river. Perhaps one of the cars was towed here, or accounts are imprecise.

An armoured car wz. 29 destroyed near Seroczyn on 12 September 1939. On other photographs the same car is in a slightly different place, with a visible sign on the border of the Latowicz commune, approximately 3 km west of Seroczyn – what brings some doubts as for a number and circumstances of losses (read more in note 3 in the main article). The car is armed, what indicates, that it was lost in combat rather than abandoned during a retreat. It is noteworthy, that it still has semi-solid Overman tires on the rear axle, apparently being a good condition.

Armoured cars wz. 29 of the 11th Armoured Unit, after merger with Warsaw Armoured-Motorized Brigade, abandoned on 16 September in a vicinity of Zwierzyniec near Zamość, due to lack of fuel and limited usefulness of these cars on poor roads of eastern Poland.

Right: an Ursus in a village identified as Rudka (currently Rudka street in Zwierzyniec) →

Below: an Ursus in Zwierzyniec, near a house with a porch – identified as current Partyzantów street. The car shows signs of fire. Wheels were probably useful to citizens. ↓↘
Right: another Ursus, known from one photograph so far, described by the Germans as eastern exit from Rudka →

Below: a Ursus in an unidentified place, probably Rudka (described in German albums as Rudka or Biłgoraj). The car still has semi-solid Overman tires on the rear axle. Well visible is a door lock. There are possibly signs of a fire inside. ↓↘

Entirely burned wz. 29 car in an unidentified wood, known from several photographs, surrounded by other burned vehicles.

The location is quite mysterious because the circumstances indicate that the car was destroyed by own forces, and not on the battlefield. It is worth noting that on the right side the car is pushed against a low wall. Some publications describe it as one of the vehicles destroyed by the crews on 16 September near Zwierzyniec, but a way of destruction and its surroundings look very different than of the cars on the photos above. Hypotheses are also put forward that it is Modlin fortress – then it could be one of the CWBrPanc training cars (but another car from Modlin, known from a colour photo, was not destroyed at all).

More 1939 Ursus photographs on a friendly Pancerne wraki website

Propaganda cars

There were built probably two unarmoured propaganda cars on ordinary truck chassis, only made similar to wz. 29 cars – more in the main article.

Right: the car no. 6814, possibly built in 1935 in the 3rd Armoured Battalion in Warsaw. The car wears standard so-called "Japanese" camouflage from 1934-1936. The photograph is on Leśna training ground near Baranowicze, with a group of officers from the 4th Armoured Battalion from Brest (which may give a hint about its origin)

Below: the car with an unknown number used in late 1930s in the 5th Armoured Battalion in Kraków, in a camouflage used from 1936. ↓↘
Ursus propaganda car
Ursus propaganda car

A cross-section of the armoured car wz. 29. Note, that a position of a rear gunner is wrong (he should be seated).
Drawing: Witold Jeleń, [4].

Back to the main page wz. 29 "Ursus"

Sources (some):
1. Janusz Magnuski, Samochody pancerne Wojska Polskiego 1918-1939, Warsaw: WiS; 1993
2. A. Jońca, R. Szubański, J. Tarczyński, Wrzesień 1939 - Pojazdy Wojska Polskiego - Barwa i broń; Warsaw, WKŁ; 1990.
3. Rajmund Szubański: Polska broń pancerna 1939; Warsaw 1989
4. Witold Jeleń, Rajmund Szubański: Samochód pancerny wz.29; series: Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia nr 84; Warsaw: Wyd. MON, 1983.
5. Jan Tarczyński, K. Barbarski, A. Jońca, Pojazdy w Wojsku Polskim - Polish Army Vehicles - 1918-1939; Ajaks; Pruszków 1995.
6. many Polish pre-war photographs in public domain and photographs taken by anonymous German soldiers


Main pagePolish armourPolish artillerySteel PanthersContact

All photos and pictures remain the property of their owners, unless they are public domain due to age. They are published in non-commercial educational and research purpose.
Text copyright: Michal Derela © 2001-2024.